When, Why & How to Outsource Web Services to the Philippines
So you’re thinking about giving this whole web outsourcing thing a go, but you’re not sure where or how to start. No worries. It’s not that hard, just keep these in mind:
Do not outsource your core competency.
- Play to your strengths. If you’re a marketing firm with a growing requirement to build websites, outsource the development!
- Focus on how to best market your clients’ brand, not how to make their website run well. Do you know how to cache static content, set up a reverse proxy or make sure the opscode cacher is running efficiently for a PHP app? There are devs out there who do, have them do it.
- If you’re a single developer/small team, then outsource to a good design firm! Why try to wrangle the design yourself? Most coders I know hardly enjoy adding Photoshop and Illustrator to their daily workflow.
- Start with small, easily gauged test projects so you can rate the firm you’re building a relationship with. Have a single homepage mocked up for a client without a tight deadline or have some logos or business cards created for an upcoming branding project. If there’s something you don’t like, it can be corrected. Or if it’s absolutely terrible, you can scrap it and move on to your other options.
Outsource maintenance work
- If you’re in the business of selling websites to clients, a great part of the business to outsource is maintenance packages.
- Generally, maintenance is tedious, but simple work – testing every plugin installed on a WordPress site is compatible with the next release, for example. This is work that you can still charge your premium price for but will only cost you a fraction of the dollar and time.
- Read more about outsourcing to virtual teams here.